Sunday, January 25, 2009

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes







One of my favorite meals as a kid was a grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Our Grammy made these for us kids quite often and would always use her homemade blackberry jam. The blackberries were always from Oregon, which are quite arguably the best blackberries you will find anywhere. Living in DC, I don't have access to Oregon Blackberries, nor do I have the skill or knowledge to make homemade jam (anyone have some advice on how to get started with homemade jam making?) Every once in a while I will still make grilled PB and J sandwiches, if you have never had one i highly recommend it. This morning I was rummaging around the cupboards trying to think of something to make for breakfast: how about PB and J pancakes?

Ingredients:
makes about 8-10 pancakes

1 1/2 cup flour
2 Tbs and 2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/2 cup jam or jelly of your choice

Directions:

Measure out peanut butter into a medium bowl. Pour 1 1/4 cup boiling water over peanut butter and slowly stir until peanut butter dissolves. Add egg and oil and whisk well. Measure out dry ingredients on top of the peanut butter mixture, and mix dry ingredients together, then stir into the peanut butter mixture just until barely blended. Swirl in the jam or jelly, but do not completely incorporate, you want to keep the jam in swirls as much as possible:
If the jam or jelly you are using is too stiff, you may want to heat it up a little in the microwave or mix it with a little bit of hot water before swirling it in. Let batter sit for 5 minutes.

Lightly oil a large griddle or skillet and place on medium low heat.

You can tell if your skillet or griddle is hot enough by flicking a drop or two of water on its surface. The water should skitter around and quickly evaporate if the pan is hot enough.

Roughly measure out 1/4 cup batter onto hot skillet and cook pancake for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side. Turn when bubbles form and continue cooking until golden brown.

Serve immediately topped with jelly or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200° F oven until all pancakes are cooked. You can also top with maple syrup and butter if you prefer.

This is a great breakfast to make with kids! (just be careful when handling boiling water of course). Goes well with a side of bacon or fried egg.



4 comments:

Julie Ann said...

Mmmm, Beth. Those grilled PB and J are a favorite memory of mine, too. I make these every now and then for the girls, and I always remind them who made them for me when I was a kid. I seem to recall that sometimes Grammy also made them Monte Cristo style, dipped in egg batter and then grilled, kind of like a french toast sandwich.

Beth said...

I have never made them Monte Christo style, but that sounds amazing! I remember, now that I think about it.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about Julie today and clicked on her FB page only to come here and see this yummy recipe that my son WILL LOVE. Tomorrow is his 5th bday so this will be his birthday breakfast!! Thanks so much! Julie- Gloria told me she ran into you. So sorry to hear about your MIL. Let me know if you'd like to get together sometime.

Angela McGinn
(I'm going to be anonymous since I can't remember any of my acct passwords!)

Anonymous said...

finally a recipe that doesn't just dump the jelly on top of peanut butter pancakes and call them peanut butter AND jelly, your recipe blends the jelly inside, thanks

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online