Thursday, October 30, 2008

Meet Mr. Bubbles, the Sourdough Starter

http://www.wikihow.com/images/1/19/Squared-Circle--Sourdough-starter-7045.jpg
Mr. Bubbles

Making a sourdough starter is so amazingly easy, it's pretty much idiot proof. You just have to make sure to "feed" it once a day for the first few days. After that, you mostly just need to tend to it once a week. It's kind of like a pet that you keep in the fridge. I already have one sitting in my fridge, I named him Mr. Bubbles (feel free to make fun of me).

In a couple of days I will post a sourdough bread recipe that I am currently working on. Before that, I thought it might be useful for some of you to learn a little about the process.

Here is what you do:

Mix together one cup of flour with one cup of warm water. Pour into a wide mouthed jar or other container. Avoid using a metal container, because it can affect the starter in an adverse way. Make sure there is a way for air to circulate in the container. I used a mason jar and punctured a hole in the lid with a nail. Put aside and keep at room temperature.

After about 24 hours, you will need to "feed" the starter: throw out half the starter, and mix in half a cup of warm water and a half cup of flour. Set aside for another 24 hours and repeat. After 3-5 days, your starter should be bubbly and yeasty smelling which means its ready to use; at this point you can begin keeping it in your refrigerator.

Your starter will keep for as long as you continue to feed it once a week or so, and also after every time you make something with it in order to replenish it.

If you want more details on how to make a sourdough starter, John Ross over at Sourdough Baking has lots of additional information and advice.

2 comments:

Julie Ann said...

I can't wait to see what you make with this, Beth! I love the flavor of sourdough. I've also "done" sourdough starter a few times. Usually I'll make a few things, and then I get tired of taking care of it. Maybe I'm too lazy or something.

Anonymous said...

Beth,
It's been a long time since I kept Sourdough Starter. Think I will start some again. I sure enjoy
Two (Almost) Mavens.
Mom

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online