Monday, October 13, 2008

Spicy-Sweet Butternut Squash Soup

A butternut squash has been sitting on my kitchen counter for a few weeks now, eyeing me as I walk past everyday, silently challenging me to do something with it. I don't know, but winter squash feels like, well, winter, and it's been hard for me to wrap my mind around cooking with it when it's still 90+ degrees outside. But finally, as the weather begins to cool off here in central Texas (albeit only slightly), I found the inspiration I need. The temperature has fallen to the mid-80's, and we have rain in the forecast. Has fall finally arrived? Let's have some soup.



Ingredients:

1 medium-sized butternut squash
2 medium apples
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 chipotle peppers with adobe sauce, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
dollop or two of cream
salt to taste

While the oven is preheating to 350F, cut the squash open lengthwise and remove the seeds and strings. Quarter and core the apples. Place squash, cut side down, and apples on a lightly greased baking sheet. Roast for about 30 minutes, or until the squash can be pierced easily with the tip of a knife. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash and discard the skin.

In a large soup pot, saute the onions in the olive oil until soft and golden. Add squash, apples, chipotle peppers, cumin, and stock. Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes. Working in batches, puree in blender or food processor to the consistency you like (Ultra smooth, or a little on the chunky side? You choose.). Transfer to a large bowl or soup tureen, salt to taste, and stir in the cream.

Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with extra cream. Serve with good bread and salad, and you have the perfect meal to usher in the cooler weather of fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this soup is delicious. when i started out, i couldn't find any chipotle peppers so i used a bit of green chiles and i didn't have cumin, so i used a little curry powder. i think the flavors turned out really nice, however next time i am going to make sure i have the chipotle peppers and cumin. my father can be a little picky about flavor and he loved this! i'd never made soup before and i had no idea how easy it is!

Julie Ann said...

Dena, I bet the green chiles and curry were delicious! I'll have to give that a try, too. Glad you and your father enjoyed it! Let me know what you think if you try it again with the chipotle peppers and cumin.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online